The faculty members forming the Biochemistry Program at Villanova University are a community of scholars. In many cases below, the publications reflect collaboration between our faculty and Villanova students. Villanova faculty members are in bold and underlined, Villanova undergraduate coauthors (including BS/MS students) are in red, and Villanova graduate coauthors are in blue.
· Kraut DA (2013) Slippery substrates impair ATP-dependent protease function by slowing unfolding. The Journal of biological chemistry 288(48):34729-34735.
· Corrigan MW, Kerwin-Iosue CL, Kuczmarski AS, Amin KB, & Wykoff DD (2013) The Fate of Linear DNA in Saccharomyces cerevisiae and Candida glabrata: The Role of Homologous and Non-Homologous End Joining. PloS one 8(7):e69628.
· Jacobs J, Grum-Tokars V, Zhou Y, Turlington M, Saldanha SA, Chase P, Eggler A, Dawson ES, Baez-Santos YM, Tomar S, Mielech AM, Baker SC, Lindsley CW, Hodder P, Mesecar A, & Stauffer SR (2013) Discovery, synthesis, and structure-based optimization of a series of N-(tert-butyl)-2-(N-arylamido)-2-(pyridin-3-yl) acetamides (ML188) as potent noncovalent small molecule inhibitors of the severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus (SARS-CoV) 3CL protease. Journal of medicinal chemistry 56(2):534-546.
· Tessema TD, Gassler F, Shu Y, Jones S, & Selinsky BS (2013) Structure-activity relationships in aminosterol antibiotics: the effect of stereochemistry at the 7-OH group. Bioorganic & medicinal chemistry letters 23(11):3377-3381.
· Wilson, J.W., C.P. Santiago, J. Serfecz, and L.N. Quick. 2013. Recombineering and conjugation as tools for targeted genomic cloning. In "Genetic Manipulation of DNA and Protein - Examples from Current Research", ed. Dr. David Figurski, InTech Publishing.
· Carter-O'Connell I, Peel MT, Wykoff DD, & O'Shea EK (2012) Genome-wide characterization of the phosphate starvation response in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. BMC genomics 13:697.
· Comber JD & Bamezai AK (2012) In vitro derivation of interferon-gamma producing, IL-4 and IL-7 responsive memory-like CD4(+) T cells. Vaccine 30(12):2140-2145.
· Gu W, Lee HC, Chaves D, Youngman EM, Pazour GJ, Conte D, Jr., & Mello CC (2012) CapSeq and CIP-TAP identify Pol II start sites and reveal capped small RNAs as C. elegans piRNA precursors. Cell 151(7):1488-1500.
· Hu C, Nikolic D, Eggler AL, Mesecar AD, & van Breemen RB (2012) Screening for natural chemoprevention agents that modify human Keap1. Analytical biochemistry 421(1):108-114.
· Jennings ME, Quick LN, Ubol N, Shrom S, Dollahon N, & Wilson JW (2012) Characterization of Salmonella type III secretion hyper-activity which results in biofilm-like cell aggregation. PloS one 7(3):e33080.
· Kerwin CL & Wykoff DD (2012) De novo generation of a phosphate starvation-regulated promoter in Candida glabrata. FEMS yeast research 12(8):980-989.
· Kraut DA, Israeli E, Schrader EK, Patil A, Nakai K, Nanavati D, Inobe T, & Matouschek A (2012) Sequence- and species-dependence of proteasomal processivity. ACS chemical biology 7(8):1444-1453.
· Lee HC, Gu W, Shirayama M, Youngman E, Conte D, Jr., & Mello CC (2012) C. elegans piRNAs mediate the genome-wide surveillance of germline transcripts. Cell 150(1):78-87.
· Liu W, Das A, Morales R, Banday M, Aris V, Lukac DM, Soteropoulos P, Wah DA, Palenchar J, & Bellofatto V (2012) Chromatin immunoprecipitation and microarray analysis reveal that TFIIB occupies the SL RNA gene promoter region in Trypanosoma brucei chromosomes. Molecular and biochemical parasitology 186(2):139-142.
· Ott, C. M., A.Crabbé, J. W. Wilson, J. Barrila, S. L. Castro, and C. A. Nickerson. 2012. Microbial stress: spaceflight-induced alterations in microbial virulence and infectious disease risks for the crew. In "Stress Challenges and Immunity in Space", ed. A. Chouker. Springer Press, Inc. Pages 203-226.
· Palenchar PM & Palenchar JB (2012) The evolution of metabolic enzymes in Plasmodium and trypanosomatids as compared to Saccharomyces and Schizosaccharomyces. Molecular and biochemical parasitology 184(1):13-19.
· Solnoki KW, Sing AH, Sofa CJ, Miller R, Ogorzalek PA, Penek HV, & Palenchar JB (2012) TbENF is an essential TbTFIIB-interacting trypanosomatid-specific factor. Molecular and biochemical parasitology 181(2):94-101.
· Crabbe, A., M.J. Schurr, P. Monsieurs, J. Schurr, J.W. Wilson, C.M. Ott, et. al. 2011. Transcriptional and proteomic responses of Pseudomonas aeruginosa PAO1 to spaceflight conditions involve Hfq regulation and reveal a role for oxygen. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 77(4):1221-30
· Henry TC, Power JE, Kerwin CL, Mohammed A, Weissman JS, Cameron DM, & Wykoff DD (2011) Systematic screen of Schizosaccharomyces pombe deletion collection uncovers parallel evolution of the phosphate signal transduction pathway in yeasts. Eukaryotic cell 10(2):198-206.
· Jennings ME, Quick LN, Soni A, Davis RR, Crosby K, Ott CM, Nickerson CA, and J.W. Wilson. 2011. Characterization of the Salmonella enterica Serovar Typhimurium ydcI Gene, Which Encodes a Conserved DNA Binding Protein Required for Full Acid Stress Resistance. J. Bacteriol. 193(9):2208-17.
· Kennedy C, Nelson MD, & Bamezai AK (2011) Analysis of detergent-free lipid rafts isolated from CD4+ T cell line: interaction with antigen presenting cells promotes coalescing of lipid rafts. Cell communication and signaling : CCS 9(1):31.
· Middler SL, Gomez S, Parker CD, & Palenchar PM (2011) The effects of combinatorial treatments with stress inducing molecules on growth of E. coli colonies. Current microbiology 63(6):588-595.
· Santiago, C. P., L. N. Quick, and J. W. Wilson. 2011. Self-transmissible IncP R995 plasmids with alternative markers and utility for Flp/FRT cloning strategies. J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 21(11):1123-1126.
· Shah TD, Hickey MC, Capasso KE, & Palenchar JB (2011) The characterization of a unique Trypanosoma brucei beta-hydroxybutyrate dehydrogenase. Molecular and biochemical parasitology 179(2):100-106.
· Orkwis BR, Davies DL, Kerwin CL, Sanglard D, & Wykoff DD (2010) Novel acid phosphatase in Candida glabrata suggests selective pressure and niche specialization in the phosphate signal transduction pathway. Genetics 186(3):885-895
· O'Sullivan, L. E., C. A. Nickerson, and J. W. Wilson. 2010. A series of IncQ-based reporter plasmids for use in a range of Gram negative genera. J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 20(5):871-874.
· Quick, L. N., A. Shah, and J. W. Wilson. 2010. A series of vectors with alternative antibiotic resistance markers for use in lambda Red recombination. J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 20(4):666-9.
· Radtke, A.L., J.W. Wilson, S. Sarker, and C.A. Nickerson. 2010. Analysis of interactions of Salmonella type III secretion mutants with 3-D intestinal epithelial cells. PLoS ONE. 5(12):e15750.
· Banerjee H, Palenchar JB, Lukaszewicz M, Bojarska E, Stepinski J, Jemielity J, Guranowski A, Ng S, Wah DA, Darzynkiewicz E, & Bellofatto V (2009) Identification of the HIT-45 protein from Trypanosoma brucei as an FHIT protein/dinucleoside triphosphatase: substrate specificity studies on the recombinant and endogenous proteins. RNA 15(8):1554-1564.
· Ibrahim BS, Kanneganti N, Rieckhof GE, Das A, Laurents DV, Palenchar JB, Bellofatto V, & Wah DA (2009) Structure of the C-terminal domain of transcription factor IIB from Trypanosoma brucei. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 106(32):13242-13247.
· Kerwin CL & Wykoff DD (2009) Candida glabrata PHO4 is necessary and sufficient for Pho2-independent transcription of phosphate starvation genes. Genetics 182(2):471-479.
· Stomel, J.M., J.W. Wilson, M.A. Leon, P. Stafford, and J.C. Chaput. 2009. A man-made ATP-binding protein evolved independently of nature causes abnormal growth in bacterial cells. PLoS ONE. 4(10):7385.
· Timakhov RA, Tan Y, Rao M, Liu Z, Altomare DA, Pei J, Wiest DL, Favorova OO, Knepper JE, & Testa JR (2009) Recurrent chromosomal rearrangements implicate oncogenes contributing to T-cell lymphomagenesis in Lck-MyrAkt2 transgenic mice. Genes, chromosomes & cancer 48(9):786-794.
· Russo LA, Peano BJ, Trivedi SP, Cavalcanto TD, Olenchock BA, Caruso JA, Smolock AR, Vishnevsky O, & Gardner RM (2009) Regulated expression of matrix metalloproteinases, inflammatory mediators, and endometrial matrix remodeling by 17beta-estradiol in the immature rat uterus. Reproductive biology and endocrinology :RB&E 7:124.