The Arab and Islamic Studies Major requires 18 credits (in addition to Arabic language courses)
1. Seminars (2 courses, 6 credits)
AIS 2100 AIS Research Seminar (3 cr.) or the research seminar from COM, HIS, PSC, or GIS.
AIS 4100 AIS Capstone Seminar (3 cr.)
2. Required courses (2 courses, 6 credits) from this list
- HIS 4041 History of the Modern Middle East
- PSC 4900 The Arab States or PSC 5900 Middle East International Relations
- THL 5150 Introduction to Islam
Any of these courses not used as a requirement may be chosen as an elective.
3. ELECTIVES (2 courses, 6 credits):
The elective credits for the major must come from the list of approved elective courses on the Arab and Islamic Studies, including additional Arabic language courses. The list of courses appears every semester at the AIS website. Certain topics courses listed under each Department (ARB, COM, GIS, HIS, HUM, PSC, THL, etc.) with content relevant to AIS may qualify as electives with permission from the Director of the Arab and Islamic Studies Program.
4. 10 credits (2 courses) of Arabic language at the intermediate level
(ARB 1121-1122) in addition to the 12 credits for the introductory level Arabic courses already completed to satisfy the College language requirement. Heritage speakers of Arabic may test out of the language requirement, in which case they will take 2 other elective courses (minimum 6 credits) instead of the language credits.