Sept. 18, 2008 – It was announced today that the Jewish Federation of Greater Philadelphia and Villanova University have agreed on a conceptual plan that would further advance the strategic direction of both institutions. The plan allows the Jewish Federation to accelerate its vision for the development and enhancement of its Radnor campus while enabling Villanova University, which currently leases space at the site, to obtain a location closer to the University’s campus.
The Jewish Federation of Greater Philadelphia purchased the 35-acre Bryn Mawr campus property from the American College in July 2007. It was envisioned that acquiring the property would offer significant educational and meeting opportunities for the Greater Philadelphia Jewish community, not unlike several other campuses the Federation owns throughout the city. Its location in Bryn Mawr is anticipated to benefit multiple audiences from both the Jewish and general communities.
The anchor tenant is Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy, a pluralistic Jewish day school for grades 6 to 12 – commenced full operations on September 8, 2008. The current Gregg Center facility has been renovated into a state-of-the-art educational environment together with adjoining athletic facilities for the students and the general community to utilize. Additional plans may include the construction of a community center with state-of-the-art athletic, programming and meeting facilities. The arboretum will continue to enhance this prime property and offer educational opportunities to children and adults alike to explore its many exquisite and rare flora specimens.
“We’re thrilled to be able to achieve a mutually beneficial solution,” said Ira M. Schwartz, President and CEO of the Jewish Federation. He further continued, “Villanova University’s decision to streamline its operations and create new economies of scale by moving closer to its main campus will aid the Federation in its desire to continue to enhance and build this campus into a centerpiece of communal activities.”
“Villanova University is delighted that we can be helpful to the Jewish Federation as it works to accelerate the development of its Radnor campus,” said the Rev. Peter M. Donohue, O.S.A., Villanova University President. “We are pleased that the Federation approached us with this mutually beneficial strategy. Having the opportunity to move our financial and human resource operations closer to the campus is of strategic importance to us. In addition, it will allow us to better integrate a number of our academic programs with the main University campus.”
Jewish Federation of Greater Philadelphia – formed in 1901, its mission is to mobilize financial and volunteer resources to address the community’s most critical priorities in Greater Philadelphia, in Israel and overseas. For more information see www.jewishphilly.org
Villanova University is a co-educational Roman Catholic institution founded by the Order of Saint Augustine in 1842. The University offers a wide variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs through four colleges: the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, the Villanova School of Business, the College of Engineering and the College of Nursing, as well as the Villanova School of Law. With a total enrollment that surpasses 10,000 undergraduate, graduate, and law students, Villanova is the oldest and largest Catholic university in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. For more information see www.villanova.edu